When a Lithium Battery is defective critical, tougher requirements are required.
Defective Critical batteries, defined as “liable to rapidly disassemble, dangerously react, produce a flame or a dangerous evolution of heat or a dangerous emission of toxic, corrosive or flammable gases or vapours under normal conditions of carriage”. The solutions require authority approval or fire load testing (not yet fully defined). In the latest release of UN recommendations packing instructions, P911 and LP906 cover defective critical batteries. Which is being applied in the ADR.
Packing instruction P911
- Outer packaging certified according to Packing group I (X marked), eg 4A and 4D
- Max possible net weight 400 kg
- If the battery has a thermal reaction, the packaging must have these additional capabilities
- Outside temperature of complete packaging max 100°C (momentary spike of 200°C is acceptable)
- No flame outside packaging
- No projectiles to exit packaging
- The structural integrity of packaging maintained
- Gas management system as appropriate
- Verified by a test specified by the competent authority
A single battery may also be transported in accordance with LP906
- Similar requirements like P911 plus
- Max 1 battery per box
- Large packaging required (e.g. 50A and 50D)
- Possible also for net weights >400 kg
Solution for critically defective Lithium-ion Batteries
Our boxes for defective critical batteries are state-of-the-art packaging. The boxes are easy to handle, and they are stackable to save space both in transport and during storage. Equipped with an integrated filter system. The boxes can be used as stationary safety containers and are X-coded UN bulk packaging (also suitable for use in accordance with SP310 or SP376 ADR 2021). A potential electrolyte leakage will be captured by the box and due to the rigid construction, it is protected against exiting of flames or ejection of projectiles during an emergency event. Developed in accordance with the most up-to-date requirements of the dangerous goods regulations (ADR2021:P911/LP906) and approved for critically defective battery transportation. Benefits in case of an emergency event:
- Perfect heat insulation < 100 °C on the outside surface
- No flames exiting the packaging
- No ejection of projectiles
- The structural integrity of the packaging maintained
- The gas management system is included on all sizes of boxes, which ensures that smoke only flows through a filter system and then exits via defined openings. Filtration of hydrogen fluoride (HF)
Make sure to contact us if you would like to know more about defective critical Lithium-ion Battery solutions.
Download our Lithium-ion Battery brochure
Find out what makes Nefab a world leader in Lithium-ion Battery Transport PackagingDownload
For more information about our solutions for Lithium-ion Batteries please contact us and we get in touch.