Packaging for Engine Parts
The Customer Case:
- Customer produces several different sizes of diesel engines.
- Nefab was asked to analyze the supply chain flow for two sizes of crank shafts delivered into the customer’s plant by their supplier.
- Main issue with the existing crank shaft packaging was that the current solution wasn’t reusable.
- High amounts of material waste produced on-site by current solution was very costly and inconvenient.
The Nefab Solution:
Nefab performed a packaging review, which analyzed the current flows, materials used, return trips and various other factors in the total cost assessment. This led to the customer deciding that an investment in a Nefab returnable system would be the most cost-efficient solution.The Nefab project team proposed a 12 mm collapsible plywood container (RePak T) which was designed to fit the customer’s special requirements. As a result, the customer got a completely customized packaging solution, including two different sizes of plywood crates, with dedicated inner packaging for additional product protection.
Customer Benefits with Nefab Packaging:
- The customer was very pleased with Nefab’s cost take-out approach.
- Investment in Nefab’s reusable system will allow the customer to decrease the packaging cost by approximately 62.5% during the project’s lifetime.
- The forecasted payback time will be only seven months.
- Main problem of material waste with the expendable packaging solution was completely eliminated.
- Simplified handling and transport space optimization.
- Customized design, completely collapsible packaging
- Ease of packing and unpacking products
- One supplier for all packaging products
- Convenient solution for packaging and logistics