When products need protection from vibrations and shocks, Nefab is able to design, develop and implement a packaging solution that ensures the product can be transported safely.
A wide range of different materials is available and with Nefab's expertise in packaging logistics, the optimal solution for protecting the goods is provided.
Benefits of foam cushioning:
- Excellent protection from shocks and vibrations
- ESD and corrosion protection available
- Moisture resistant and resilient
- Broad range of thicknesses, densities and models
- Resistant to humidity
- Does not absorb any water
Foam is widely used as protective packaging material and has unique shock absorbing abilities. There are basically four different materials (polymers) and two main manufacturing techniques that are used to meet required specifications.
Foams can be either moulded or converted. Moulding demand more complicated tooling but is often an economically preferable choice for large quantities.
Polyethylene (PE or EPE) is the most widely used polymer that can be moulded as well as fabricated depending on the requirements. It is a moisture resistant and resilient packaging material with good multiple drop cushioning performances. One main feature with PE is the possibility to recycle it.
Polypropylene (PP or EPP) is a moulded foam that just like polyethylene is a moisture resistant and resilient material with good multiple drop cushioning performances.
Polystyrene (PS or EPS) is a moulded foam with good insulation capability and good first drop cushioning performance.
Polyurethane (PU) is commonly fabricated but can also be moulded. The material is recognised as mattress or furniture material and is suitable as cushioning for light weight products and as interior packaging in cases.
Foam ProfilesFoam profiles can be provided in a broad range of models with varying densities and shapes that are suitable for different applications. The foam profiles are reusable and made of recyclable polyethylene that gives good multi drop cushioning. This lightweight product is also resistant to humidity and does not absorb any water.
Foam profiles can easily be converted and customized to meet specific customer needs.
Frequently mentioned groups of foam profiles are:
- This is an option
- U-profile – for edge and corner protection
- L-profile – for corner protection
- WS-profile – for wind screens and other glass products
- O-profile – protection for tubes, pipes, poles etc
- C-profile – edge and corner protection for special applications
- System profile – designed to give shock and vibration protection to sensitive products
* The quality and capabilities of the foam raw material is not only determined by the choice of polymer but also by its density and the manufacturing technique. Choice of material, quality, manufacturing method etcetera decides the durability of foam products that can be made for both expendable and returnable applications. Different additives can be incorporated into the foam during the manufacturing process to obtain ESD protection, corrosion protection or fire resistance.